Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Praise the Lord Tomato Soup!

I don't do recipes on my blog. But I won't say 'Never'. I am a decent enough cook but I would never go so far as to say my dishes are photo worthy and I don't invent new recipes, just keep the tried and true ones coming. I guess after 30 plus years of cranking out meatloaf and spaghetti, this old cook is a little weary. Add the challenge of cooking gluten free for the last 2 years and you can understand why a "4 Buck Cluck*" sale at the local grocery store is a deal too good to pass up!
(* 4 buck cluck = roasted whole chicken on sale for $4, pairs very well with some 2 buck chuck (wine) from Trader Joes )

That said.... a dear friend created her own cookbook of some very yummy gluten free dishes and gave me a copy. The first thing I experimented with from the cookbook was something I'd sampled from her kitchen and found so hearty and delightful that I was excited to re-create it in my own kitchen.

I love tomato soup. Coupled with a grilled cheese sandwich  it's the ultimate blues-buster on a chilly rainy winter day. It's comfort food. It's finger licking good. This delicious soup is so good I can understand why it's called "Praise the Lord!"

PRAISE THE LORD TOMATO SOUP
1 lb spicy ground Gluten Free sausage or sausage links (I used  GF spicy chicken sausage meatballs, diced)
1 box GF Pacific Natural Foods organic tomato soup
1 jar of (your favorite GF) marina sauce. 
1/4 cup (or more, LOL) Red Wine.
1-2 tsp oregeno and basil,
salt and pepper to taste.

in soup pan, brown the sausage. Add rest of ingredients, and simmer till hot. Do not boil. 

Options: 1 cup fresh or frozen corn can be added. 
Other variations include using roasted red pepper/tomato soup for a spicier taste. 
I served mine with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with Pepper Jack grated cheese, (in lieu of the grilled cheese sandwich)

If you try this recipe, I'd love to know what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!