Tuesday, February 5, 2013

charging your batteries

Awhile back the battery to my laptop stopped holding a charge. As long as it was hooked up to the power adapter, all was fine but if it came unplugged within seconds the screen went black and all things computer-y came to a screeching halt. The big problem with this was that the power adapter had gotten rather loose in it's connection so it was very easy for the plug to come unplugged-- and it seemed to do it with annoying regularity. I recently replaced the power adapter with a nice snug fitting connection and all is well... as long as it says plugged in to the power source.

I'm very much like my laptop in some ways. I am an introvert. I recharge in private. I have an internal battery that holds a charge for a limited amount of time. And when it's spent, it's spent. Bruce kids me about the look on my face that tells him in no uncertain terms that I've 'hit the wall" and it's time to take me home, put me to bed, turn off the lights and tiptoe away-- far, far away.

I've learned in recent years how to occasionally check my power source-- make sure my external power cord is plugged in you might say. Still once in awhile I forget, get distracted or so caught up in other things that I forget to check my connection... and then, BAM! Auto-shutdown commences.

Making sure I have ME/Solo time is important. Quiet time. Time for creativity. Getting enough sleep. Proper diet. Exercise. Time for laughing. But perhaps none so important as plugging in to the Ultimate Power Source. Yes. Spending time in Worship, communing with God, whether through praise music, creation, fellowship with other believers, or reading my bible, listening for His Presence-- that is the Ultimate Power. When I neglect those important aspects, it doesn't take long before my screen goes black, my body shuts down and things get, well.....  ugly. We don't wanna go there.

I appreciate that I have learned to listen to my body. That God wired me this way and for a reason. I think sometimes we introverts get the short end of the stick, and it often comes from the extroverts we love, who think there is something wrong with us because we don't get charged up by being around others like they do. Yet, the world needs us introverts. Some of the best creativity out there was produced by the introverts!

What about you? Are you an extrovert or an introvert? Do you get your re-charge by being around others or does that drain you and you need alone time to charge your battery?



If you are an extrovert, is there an introvert in your life who could benefit from your being a little more understanding of the way God created them to be? (that they don't need fixing? they just need to be accepted.)

If you are an introvert, what do you do to recharge your batteries? Whatever it is, I pray you have some time this week to indulge and be healthy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!