Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Growth May Require ---ooh-- Discomfort



Ouch ouch ouch. Nobody likes to HURT! And you are telling me that if I want to experience growth, I will also experience some pain? Is that how we get the term 'growing pains'?

When I first began working out, I experienced the post workout days of sore muscles. But it was a good kind of ache. I knew I was using muscles that had long been dormant and it felt good to know I was using them. I knew I was getting strong  and I liked that feeling. When I set my heart and mind to grow in my relationship with Jesus, I experienced some 'growing pains' as well. I faced new challenges and hurtles that gave me pause. If I prayed for more patience, I was given opportunities to practice patience. Uggh. That was NOT how I had envisioned it going!

Total Honesty: growth requires a little discomfort! A little inconvenience. Anything important in our lives is going to require effort and discipline. Yet how amazed we are when we actually begin to make this plan happen!

I am going to start walking through a process of changing my bad habits to good ones. And whether I apply this to the areas of exercise and weight management or my spiritual life, the process will be the same. It takes time to develop a habit whether it is good or bad.  I am learning right now about change being a process and how the process has FIVE steps.  Over the next few days I am going to be studying out the 5 steps and I invite you to walk through them with me.

The 5 steps are:
* Identifying the problem
* Prioritizing the problem
* Planning the solution
* Implementing the solution
* Following through

People often approach fitness (be it physical or spiritual)  as a journey. A journey will focus your attention for a period of time but it can fall short of process. A journey many change your location but a process changes you.

I believe that using this formula for process has been very effective for lasting change and I am willing to give it a good solid try. Are you with me?


2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking a lot about growth lately. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is more than one method out there to losing weight, burning fat and getting six pack abs. Just what ever you do, do not waste income on high priced and absolutely useless abdominal exercise machines that just don\’t function, explore other solutions which are better and additional successful.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!