Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Embracing Change

The Apostle Paul shared his frustration with us when he penned about knowing what he should do and being unable to do it. I am sure many of us have battled this ourselves with many things in life; diet, exercise, anything that has to do with self control. I know this is true for me.

I am on a quest to lose weight and be in better shape and it does not come easy to me. Even working in the fitness industry does not make my daily struggle with choices easier!

It's so much easier to give in to the temptation of a warm-fresh-out-of-the-oven-gooey-chocolate-chip-muffin and flop on the couch to read! And occasionally this choice is not bad, providing it is occasional!

I guess what I wrestle with is the 2 natures at war within me. The instinctual selfish side that wants the instant gratification and comfort and the New Creation that God instilled in me when I invited Jesus into my life. I was created in the image of God and in his eyes I am a beautiful person who has been given the gift of self-awareness and free will.

Free will is a gift but with it comes great responsibility. That responsibility is to recognize the behaviors that are harmful to our lives and to replace them with good choices.

In addition to needing to shed a few pounds, I also am gluten-intolerant. So sometimes the desire for the warm gooey fresh out of the oven muffin is doubly deadly. I don't need the muffin-top that comes from eating muffins (and other calorie laden treats) and I really don't need the side effects that straying from my smart eating plan will give me.  Still, even as I stand there, knowing what is wrong with this idea, the temptation to satisfy the immediate cravings of the flesh is so strong....

Still the words of Paul come to mind:
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:13


I think one of the reasons we continue in the same mode, accepting harmful behavior and even the consequences, is the desire to stay in our comfort zone. We tend to seek comfort before we seek success. Let our free will choose to embrace change and we will allow ourselves to become the person our true heart desires. 




2 comments:

  1. Change is truly one of the hardest things for me in my life. I know so many people who look at it as an adventure instead of an obstacle,wish i could have that type of spirit or attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm experiencing life in a different way than I ever have before--and realizing that there are some things I definitely need to change. Thanks for your words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!