Saturday, October 29, 2011

Joy and More Joy

I have the Joy~Joy~Joy~Joy, 
down in my heart~
down in my heart~
down in my heart~
I have the Joy~ Joy~Joy~Joy
down in my heart~
down in my heart~~to stay! 

Who doesn't remember this song from Sunday School? We had lots of verses to it... 'love of Jesus down in my heart', 'peace that passes understanding' was another. 'beautiful belief that baffles the Buddhists' was a popular verse in the 70's and the one that made us all giggle was the finishing verse "and if the devil doesn't like it he can sit on a tack~sit on a tack~sit on a tack~sit on a tack and stay!" 

Ah, sunday school songs. My sister and I harmonized on many and we'd weave some of them together, singing as we did chores, out in the berry field, as we rode in the car.... we sang because we loved it... we sang because we DID indeed have Joy in our hearts! 

I love singing so much that, when at the age of 35 I decided I had wanted a tattoo long enough to know I was serious about getting one, I chose a heart with musical notes coming out of it representing that I did indeed have a song in my heart. I have used that tattoo to share my faith as people have asked what my tattoo stands for and I say "Jesus put a song in my heart"

I guess my parents knew what they were doing when they chose my name.


when Bruce and I were on vacation last month, and we came across the little chapel~on~the~hill in Curlew, it was a given we'd go inside and upon settling into a pew, start to sing. (the acoustics were great by the way) 

We attended Catalyst the other night at church, which is a monthly event where we gather to sing praise and worship songs to our Lord and King. It's powerful.

This morning I woke up, foggy-headed and froggy-throated but still with a song in my heart for all the goodness God brings to our lives. Living in faith is stretching us but the joy we come to know as a by-product is beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!