Sunday, July 11, 2010

Oh, General Assembly!

I am so disappointed...

Just did some quick reading of some of the 'highlights' from the Presbyterian Church's general assembly which concluded Sat. I didn't have to read very far to find what I was looking for. that GA has approved the ordination of non-celibate gays. I read it and then re-read it to make sure I read it right. From what I understand, this is not the 1st time GA has approved this, but in the last 3 times it made it this far, it was shot down by the local presbyteries. There is still hope this will fail as the issue goes out for votes to each presbytery during the coming year.

I do not support this measure. I am still flabbergasted (but not naive) that this is even on the dockets to consider. It is a total non-brainer to me, because, according to the word of God, homosexuality is wrong. Why this argument comes up time and time again, only shows how depraved our society has gotten. and it deeply saddens and even frightens me that this denomination has gone the way of so many others in forsaking God's word and hiding it under a cloak of what they call justice and equality.

I know I am not alone in this stand. That's why this measure has not passed at the local presbytery levels. Although I now attend a non-denominational church, technically I am still a member of the Presbyterian Church USA. If I was still actively involved in church government (as I was in the past) I might retain my membership with them so that my voice can be counted among those who oppose this issue. But, while I still love and care about the local Presbyterian Church of which I attended in the past, I have decided it is time to withdraw my membership formally.

Another flabbergasting discovery (and this time I do have to say I was naive for not being up to date on what this denomination is doing) was that the Presbytery has already approved clergy to preform same sex blessings ceremonies for couples-- (not quite the same as a legal same sex marriage union, which GA tabled for this year) still, I am saddened by this discovery. Would that mean that a man and a woman who didn't want a legal marriage ceremony preformed, just a blessing over their living together would also be something that the clergy would approve? Wow, how about if a couple was engaged in an extra marital affair.... would the clergy then do a blessing ceremony for them as well? See it's not just about homosexuality. It's about morals. but the gay issue has the louder voice.

where does this stop? the constant tension between what is legal and what is moral has changed drastically from what this country was founded on. It used to be that what we knew to be morally wrong, was also then legally wrong. Now, our morals are often guided by what we feel is okay for us, okay for you.... forgetting (or choosing to ignore) that the ultimate authority on morals is found in God's Holy Word.

Sad, upset, frustrated, and disappointed.... I imagine this is why the Presbyterian Church lost thousands of members last year.... and now, today, one more.

so, I need to stop blogging.... I have a letter to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!