Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Broken Places

I am reading this book called "the Me I want to Be" and it is just chock full of delightful stuff. I am, in fact, almost done with it. Last night as I was reading I came across this awesome quote by Ernest Hemingway, "Sooner or later, the world breaks everyone, and those who are broken are strongest in the broken places."

I think there is a lot of truth in that. Some say that which does not break us, makes us stronger and I can subscribe to that one as well. But something about Hemingway's comment lit a fire under me. I have long been planning a novel that really deals with domestic violence as a way to, hopefully, get the message across to women who may be trapped as I was so long ago. A message of hope, of encouragement, of advice. A message that says 'get out and get safe!"

so yesterday I actually started writing it. Now, don't get too excited. This may take me awhile because, while i want it to be as authentic as possible, I am not interested at this point in time in really telling my story. Certainly the main character will go through many of the same acts of violence, manipulation and control that I did, but 'she' wont be 'me'.

anyway, it may take me awhile to write it because of the emotional cost involved.  but this quote by Hemingway makes the point that I hope my book ultimately will make. that out of the brokenness will emerge a stronger person. Like the caterpillar who has to fight its way out of the cocoon in order to be strong enough to spread it's wings and fly. Like I did!! Praise Jesus!!

so... back to the word.doc I go!

"God isn't at work producing the circumstances you want. God is at work in bad circumstances, producing the you he wants. " ~ from the me i want to be by john ortberg

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!