Tuesday, December 9, 2014

More Than A Feeling

In my daily devotional reading the other morning I was reminded that we are so much more than our feelings.

I don't know about you, but these are the kind of reminders I need on a fairly regular basis.

 Feelings play such an important role in everything we do. I am a person guided primarily by my heart. Common sense is a precious commodity and being a realist in a world of optimists and pessimists has its advantages. While I do possess common sense, it's still my heart that takes charge 99% of the time.


Being led by the heart isn't always a bad thing.... but I have learned how it does need to be balanced with good judgement.

I let my heart lead when I decided to give that tall blond quiet guy a chance 20 some years ago.

 Thankfully, it was one of the best decisions my heart ever made.


Where being led by the heart has it's downfalls, comes when my heart is filled with fear, anxiety, anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, resentment, pride, selfishness and so on. Fear is probably the biggest one for me. Because I have found that when I feel fearful, that's when anxiety, anger, and the rest of those emotions come crowding in to stake their claim.

When I allow those negative, unhealthy feelings to rule, what follows are the equally negative feelings of guilt, shame and self-contempt. And if I let those feelings settle in, and they start to define me, well, friends, that's a path that can only lead to a dark dark place.

That is where this reminder that I am so much more than my feelings gives me hope.

When I remember that I am a child of God, a
powerful, wise, beloved, child of God, 
I  then also remember that I can do whatever I need to do in life because through Christ, He has told me I can!


When my heart is filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control, I can let my heart lead 100%.



What feelings are you letting define you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!