Friday, January 11, 2013

A Bruised and Tender Reed


A bruised reed He will not break, and a smoldering wick He will not snuff out.  
Isaiah 42:3

This morning I received in one of my daily email devotionals, a word, for me, about healing. I also received an email from a treasured friend that contains timeless truths about healing and forgiveness. So timely, so apropos for my circumstances right now.

The devotional (which can be read in it's entirety by clicking the link) spoke about the reeds found in the Red Sea and how the children used the reeds as toy flutes. A sweet image comes to my mind as I picture that. I can imagine the children making a joyful noise as they played along the river banks. The piece went on to say how delicate the reeds were and how easy it was to damage one so that using it as a flute was no longer possible. 

How many of us are as tender as a reed? I like to think of myself as fairly tough, resilient, but when I am hurt, it hurts deep. The recent confrontation that I shared here is still a fresh wound. I still feel bruised and jagged from the encounter. It has helped to share with a few trusted friends the more intimate details of the wrong and know that I am surrounded by praying, caring individuals who are bringing a balm to my broken soul. And I know God is so very near; why else would the timing be so perfect for healing words to come? 

In the midst of pain and sorrow, with Christ at our sides, we can all experience joy. Submitting the hurts to him makes all the difference. To quote the writer of today's devotional piece: If God can make a melody from the hollow reeds of a swamp, imagine what he can do with the willing spirit of a man or woman?

Today I am going to the memorial service for the mother of one of my friends from high school. I was able to reconnect with this friend at my high school reunion last summer and I am blessed to be able to go today and offer whatever support I can. I imagine she is feeling as delicate as a reed from the Red Sea as well. I pray God will use me today. By submitting my willing spirit to Him, I believe He can. 







2 comments:

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!