Saturday, December 1, 2012

If God's So Great Why Isn't He Enough?

God should be my everything. The psalmist said "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want" or in another version, "I have everything I need."  In almost every psalm that David wrote the theme of praise is constant: God is Great! 

I believe this with all my heart. God is great. He is faithful, His love endures forever. His mercy is everlasting. His care for me is evident. God is, irrefutably, undeniably, overwhelmingly, GREAT. 
So why isn't He enough? 

Why is it that my worries and fears crowd my heart and mind in such a way that I diminish God's greatness? Why is it that I seek after other things for comfort, solace, fulfillment? If God is everything I need, why do I act so needy and why do I seek after other things? 

Why do I allow the pressures of unpaid bills and lack of funds to supersede the track record that my Jehovah Jireh has established in my life? Why do I let my circumstances define me rather than my identity as a child of the King of Kings? 

Why do I cast my worries on Jesus, as my bible encourages me to do, and then in the next minute pick them all back up again to weigh me down? 

If God is as great as I say I believe He is, why isn't He enough for me? 

For years, my biggest vice was shopping. Call it retail therapy and chuckle, but since I was a young girl, my monthly allowance burned a hole in my pocket and I couldn't save a dime to save my life! When I was a single mom, struggling to provide for my daughter and I, I got into some serious debt thanks to credit cards and a void I was trying unsuccessfully to fill. By the time I married Bruce, my shopping and spending habits were deeply entrenched and I had some serious addictions to battle. Now, I know when you say the word addictions,  drugs, alcohol and gambling are the things that come to mind. Say it's a shopping addiction ,and like saying retail therapy, people kind of laugh it off. But for me, I knew it was something I needed to get control of. I tried to manage it in my own power but it took the work of the Holy Spirit in my life to really break the control that unbridled spending had over me. 

The question I had to come to terms with wasn't why I was spending money I didn't have on things I didn't need, but rather what  void in my life was I trying to fill through this activity? In other words, why wasn't God enough? 

Tonight I took another look at Psalm 145... like all of David's poetry, it is overflowing with a melody of praise, of God's greatness. I was struck, really struck with the choice I have to be grateful for God's goodness and grace. I must decide to declare God's Greatness. I must commit 100% to believing that God is greater than all my circumstances. 

I will exalt you, my God and King,
    and praise your name forever and ever.
I will praise you every day;
    yes, I will praise you forever.
Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise!
    No one can measure his greatness.

For a LOT of us, life's not so great. You all know of the ongoing struggle my husband and I face because of financial issues. Life is hard right now. Life without the money to live properly is really really not O.K. But even when life is not great, God still is.

 Let me say this again: When Life is NOT great, God is still great. My pastor says these two truths are not mutually exclusive, and deciding to declare God's Greatness in the face of badness can be my way of acknowledging I belong to Him.

Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts;
    let them proclaim your power.
I will meditateon your majestic, glorious splendor
    and your wonderful miracles.
Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue;
    I will proclaim your greatness.
Everyone will share the story of your wonderful goodness;
    they will sing with joy about your righteousness.


When life is not great, I can still decide to be Grateful. This life is temporary but I know His Kingdom is eternal, and my security in Him is eternal. 

All of your works will thank you, Lord,
    and your faithful followers will praise you.
11 They will speak of the glory of your kingdom;
    they will give examples of your power.
12 They will tell about your mighty deeds
    and about the majesty and glory of your reign.
13 For your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom.
    You rule throughout all generations.

When life is not great, God knows. He hears. He helps and He cares. I know I am not the only person who is struggling, daily, with keeping strong, keeping the faith, keeping their head above water, and pushing forward. Finding strength, hope and help in God's Word and the presence of the Holy Spirit is something I have to choose to do--- again, declaring God's Greatness-- minute by minute, day by day. 


The Lord helps the fallen
    and lifts those bent beneath their loads.
15 The eyes of all look to you in hope;
    you give them their food as they need it.
16 When you open your hand,
    you satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing.
17 The Lord is righteous in everything he does;
    he is filled with kindness.
18 The Lord is close to all who call on him,
    yes, to all who call on him in truth.
19 He grants the desires of those who fear him;
    he hears their cries for help and rescues them.
20 The Lord protects all those who love him,
    but he destroys the wicked.

10 

God is Great. I trust Him.... so I will decide to declare His Greatness... even when.... and especially when, life is not!
I will praise the Lord,
    and may everyone on earth bless his holy name
    forever and ever.



2 comments:

  1. Boy Robyn, I could have written this myself with the top part of your post. I struggle with the same issues myself. If God is great, why isn't he enough? Why do I still worry and fret about this and that? It does all come to trust which is so hard for me; I get it in my mind but do I really truly believe it with my heart? Such a struggle indeed. I love though what you did with psalm 145, how you broke it down like that with your circumstances and life. We need to penetrate his word in our heart so that he is indeed more than enough!

    (love the snowflake theme on your blog)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty
      I love that this resonated with you, even as I feel your chagrin over it. I am starting to see more and more how breaking down His Word helps to really apply it in our lives. I want this to be my moment to moment. Blessings, my friend!

      glad you like the snowflakes-- I'm kind of hoping for some real snow here, lol

      Delete

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!