Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Resting... Resting in Him

 

One of my favorite bible verses is the familiar "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46.10) I have pondered what being still means, what knowing 'God is God' means and how to be more still so that I can know this better. 

(Full Disclosure: unplanned by me but as I sit here tapping out this post a song comes on the Jango player "Peace" by Rebecca St. James.... key words in this song 'be still and know that I am God." Coincidence? I think NOT!!)

I used to be very restless. I didn't sit still very well or for very long and I did not handle alone time well at all! And I laugh at this because now I can almost hermit-up any chance I get! But back then, I was an insecure, unhappy, frightened girl both inside and out and the thought of spending too much time alone with my own thoughts was too burdensome to bear. 

Once I learned about having quiet times and really liking them, I think that is when my relationship with God really started to grow. When I learned about contemplative prayer, or centering prayer as it is sometimes called, my first thought was 'woo-woo' (cue the eerie music) but then I learned how wonderful and relaxing it was to just spend time soaking in the presence of God.

One of my favorite fantasy date activities with my husband is one where we  sit or lay quietly on a blanket in the sunshine; my head is on his lap and he is tenderly touching, stroking, my face or arms. Talking isn't necessary, what matters is the closeness and tenderness and the presence of each other. When I began to substitute the image of my husband with that of my Lord, I really got what it meant to engage in contemplative prayer. 

I have also heard this referred to as Soaking Prayer. I really like the term. "Soaking in a hot bath" or "soaking up the sunshine" are phrases that pull me in. I can see, taste, feel the sensations of them. I have had a few times of serious soaking prayer and they have been wonderful. Why I don't engage in this more often I am not sure but it probably has to do with being busy doing my own thing and ignoring the spiritual hunger for it. 

It helps to have made a commitment of time and space to allow it to happen. Sometimes we really need to be intentional about our seeking after God's presence. Often when I am reading my bible and having my quiet time, the sun will break through the clouds and light up my living room where I am sitting. I always feel like that is the Holy Spirit dropping by to say hello and bless me. But it doesn't happen every time. 

I stand in worship and raise my arms and cry out my songs to God and I know He is near but it isn't always conducive to lay down on the floor in my church and let His love quench me.  So when the worship leader at the conference last week said to feel free to sit kneel stand or even lay down as we worshiped, I thought "how wonderful!"

 I don't know how long I laid on my back, listening to the songs being sung, because time seemed suspended. I was too engaged in feeling God's love pour over me. I didn't pray, didn't sing. I was simply still in His Presence. I was being still and knowing God. And letting God know me.

I wonder how much better we all would be if we took some time each week to put on some quiet reflective praise music, lay down in a comfortable place and allow God to draw near to us. I wonder how much better we all would be if we learned to be still and know He is God.



(if you are interested in knowing more about 'soaking prayer' here is a helpful article.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!