Friday, October 7, 2011

One Eye Shut

So in addition to the sniffles I somehow scratched the cornea of my right eye leaving me in pain and with a blurry watery eye. Husband took me to the eye doc last night (thankful he has evening appointments) After several different kinds of drops in the eye to soothe and anesthetize things and a blank contact lens to act as a buffer/band-aid, he sent me home with instructions to come back in the morning.

don't know if you have ever scratched your eye but these are mighty painful!! This is not the first time I have had this happen. In fact the first time this happened was about 32 years ago when my son was an infant and I was scratched by his little fingernail as he wailed and flayed his little arms around during a colicky moment.

Since then that eye has been super sensitive. Bright lights, early morning eye rubbing, wind....  can and will re-aggravate my poor eye with no advance warning. About 5 years ago I re-injured that same eye by accidentally poking myself with a tablecloth of all things-- I know that just sounds stupid but I was shaking the plastic cloth out to lay on the table and a corner fold snapped my eye. (Ended up at the E.R. in the middle of the night for that one the pain was so bad. )

A few weeks ago my eye decided to flare up after I walked outside for a little bit and the breeze aggravated it somehow. And then this week, after wearing my contacts for several hours without adding eye drops (dry eye tendencies here) the poor sore spot flared up.

Eye doc said it is a pretty significant abrasion and gave me several different drops to administer at home. One of which dilates the pupil of the eye. Apparently when the pupil is dilated it stops the eye from contracting and causing it to spasm. So my right eye has a very large pupil.



source: google images
My honey says I look like Bill the Cat.

Gee, thanks babe.





I am trying to come up with some deep life lesson analogies in all of this but so far nothing. If you have any suggestions I am-- like my pupil-- WIDE OPEN.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better soon! That sounds awful, especially with a cold. :(

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!