Friday, September 2, 2011

Hanging on in Tough Times

and the lessons we can learn...

Seems like just about everyone I know has had some way of being negatively affected by this sour economy. Especially if you work for yourself or for a small company. Being self employed and in construction has certainly hit us hard. There just isn't the work! My husband has been pounding the pavement, giving bids for jobs left and right and taking just about any little repair job that comes his way. it's tough.

But God has been faithful. As usual we can look back over the year and say, 'wow, we earned an average of X amount each month which is a fraction of what we need, yet somehow, our bills got paid.' Even the bills we could NOT pay somehow worked itself out. This is not by any of our own efforts. This is the mighty work of Jehovah Jireh --our faithful provider.

Sometimes I find myself reflecting on the shoulda-woulda-coulda mentality. I should have done this, if I could do it over I would do that. And while hindsight is 20/20 and we often think we would love a do-over.... really when it comes down to it, would we really trade it?

I made a lot of mistakes as a teenager. Married at 17. Stupid move. endured years of abuse. Yet if I say I would have made a different choice... well that means I would not have my son and my daughter... my grandkids....

I would have missed out on some valuable life lessons too I think. The things I experienced in the marriage and subsequent divorce.... the jobs I have had and not kept.. the church experiences, both good and bad.... they are all a valuable part of WHO I AM TODAY.

So, as I look at the last few years of financial difficulty I see all the things I've been taught about Who God is and How He Provides. It's amazing.

I am watching my brother go through an awful time right now... his house of cards being ready to topple... and I see him reaching out to Jesus with fresh despair. And I hope and pray that despite the humbling, painful, terrifying moments of this season he sees the value in it. If it brings us closer to God, makes us more aware of how desperately we need Him, then it IS worth it.

There is a saying that we sometimes don't realize that God is all we need until we find that God is all we have.

I know the many trials that Bruce and I have been through have shaped and refined us. Hopefully into vessels God can use!! the other day we were talking about some of the frustrating moments we had in our church experiences-- especially over the last couple of years. While there were painful, disappointing times, times of irritation and sometimes down right anger over situations... if we had not had those moments, we would have missed out on some very valuable lessons. For example.... We would not be as quick to recognize what a healthy church looks like-- and does not look like! I think we are more grateful because of the things we now have that we did not have before. 

I know that more tough times are ahead for us. I hope I'm ready. But with God at my side, I have learned I can say "I'm not afraid."

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking similar thoughts this week. Thank God for his provision and power in our lives. Even when we think He isn't listening or not there, he is always by our side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for the wisdom to see the good that's come out of my wrong turns and painful decisions, and trusting that it's all preparation for what God has in store for me.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!