Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What is Mom Up To?

Yesterday we met for a Caregivers Conference. This included the charge nurse, physical therapist and social workers. And Mom and I of course. We discussed exciting things like GOING HOME!! Yes, it is possible that in just 2-3 weeks she can be back in her own little home again. But there are some hurdles to jump yet to prove she is ready. Problem is, some of those hurdles cause my mom to shut down and say  "I can't" or "I won't" Yes, those words again.

How often do I say I can't or I won't to things God presents to me? I am never forced to participate in God's work but rather, invited to join Him. Yet sometimes fear and doubt hold me back. I convince myself there is NO WAY I can do this, forgetting that I won't be doing it alone. 

Mom won't have to jump these hurdles by herself either but she does have to be willing to take the first step (literally!) and be open to trying and accepting help from others.

Mom's ankle is still supported by the big black boot but she has shown she can stand without it on and will start P.T. this week without the boot, as tolerated. She is using a walker to some degree and being encouraged to dispense with some of the things that keep her from full independence. She is going to start administrating her own med's again too. (She is diabetic) Before she goes home, we will have one of the therapists meet us in her home to look at how well the house is set up for her. Scatter rugs, extra (or unstable) furniture and clutter can be dangerous and having an outside party examine these things will be very helpful. I might not catch those things.

How like our Christian Family this is. We all need those support people in place to help us go through this crazy thing called life. We can't do it alone. We need the Holy Trinity for sure and then God goes one better by adding in other believers to encourage, love and guide us. They hold us accountable if we'll allow it. All things that make the Walk sweeter. 

So, I'll be encouraging Mom to try. To trust. To make every effort to do what she needs to do to be strong and independent again. And I will trust my fellowship of friends to do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!