Saturday, July 3, 2010

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Corinthians 3:17

The ultimate freedom.

freedom from the chains that bind us... sin, guilt, shame, those chains that keep us from fully embracing the joys of life.

my chains are gone, I've been set free, my God, my Savior, has ransomed me.... unending love, amazing grace.

Last night we gathered with friends to celebrate Independence Day. We sang God Bless America together and said the pledge of allegiance together before offering up prayers of thanks for all of God's gifts to us. It was not something we do very often (sing patriotic songs and say the pledge together) but it seemed appropriate. fitting.

I couldn't help thinking however of some of my own independence days. the first one was May 1967, when I asked Jesus into my heart. Funny how depending on Him for my salvation yields me the most freedom.

My second day of freedom was Aug.29, 1991. After 15 years of suffering in silence at the hands of an abuser, I broke free. While it was not pretty or patriotic, or spiritual, it was still a victory for me. I never take what I have today for granted.

there have been other days of victory for me.... breaking free of shame and guilt, of lies and critical spirits that would hold me back from growing in my relationship with others and with Jesus. Overcoming strongholds, standing up for what is right and true and good.

As we stood last night, watching all the neighborhood kids running around with their sparklers, and I leaned back against my husband, safe and secure in his arms, I felt so incredibly grateful for my life. surrounded by dear friends, friends who keep me grounded, friends who love the Lord and encourage me to do the same, people who know my faults and weaknesses and love me just the same.... that brings a whole new level of meaning to the word 'freedom'.

Yes, where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!