Monday, January 2, 2012

Mistakes Allowed

You read that right. there wasn't a NO in front of that. This is my big fat new years resolution this year; I am allowed to make mistakes.

Does that sounds silly?

Well, here's the reasoning behind this. too often I make a goal (for example: lose 10 15 ok, 20 pounds) and as soon as I do something to derail the goal (like consume 5 lbs in chocolates) I have a tendency to throw the whole goal out the window (saying "oh well, I'm just destined to be a chocoholic with a really big butt!!")

However!

This new goal allows me to make a mistake, not let it completely derail me, and move on. If it's diet we're talking, I just cut me some more chocolate cake slack and get back with the wise and healthy meal plan.

The Second however is that my goals are less about (weight) loss as they are about GAINING. Yes, gaining. Things like Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self Control.....
and self esteem. Still working on that seeing myself the way God sees me concept.

And when I make a mistake, instead of berating myself and giving up, I will allow myself the grace that God so freely gives, and move forward once again.

The Second Resolution I am making was inspired by our pastor on Sunday. He said "Don't make God your #1 priority" (that stopped us all in our tracks as you can imagine!) he went on to say "Instead make Him the CENTER of your life."

so often, we make a plan to be more focused on God being #1 in our lives but as soon as we worry about some other area God slips off the numero- uno position.  If I put God in the center of everything, there is no list for him to fall off of.

I have been giving that some thought. I was visualizing the list where its goes something like
1. God
2. family
3. work
4. others
and so on. And then, I visualized tearing up the list and making a circle instead. the circle represents my life and with Christ at the center, everything else just seems to fall into place.

So, Mistakes are allowed this year and God isn't going at the top of my list. Instead, He goes where He has always longed to be. In the center of my life. In the center of my heart.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'd never thought of it that way. I've heard both phrasings, but never used together in that way. What a great message!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!