Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Where the Sidewalk Ends...

I have to admit that another blog post has inspired me to re-visit this wonderfully delightful poem by Shel Silverstein... but since my sweetie and I are planning our anniversary get away for later this month, and this poem resonates with the "whys" of the adventure we have chosen, it just seemed fitting to include the poem in my post. 

 

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.


We are taking our road trip in just 2 weeks and I can't wait! We are taking the trailer and heading for parts of Washington we have not yet explored!
Okanogan Country!
Ghost Towns, dirt roads, towns with populations of 37 or 5. Lakes and rivers and hiking trails.... No sidewalks, streets that might barely be there... and lots of grass, blowing in the cool prairie (peppermint?) wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends. 
 
Mountain passes that will be showing off their crimson glory, streams that trickle in a meandering fashion... We have purposely planned this trip to be unhurried.... driving for no more than 4 or 5 hours each day... time to pull off and explore.... set up camp and plunk down a chair and just listen.... listen to the secrets whispered in the wind...

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.
 
where the sidewalk ends by shel silverstein
Shel Silverstein you wrote a masterpiece when you penned this one.....  and I can't wait for Bruce and I to get out there, off the beaten path... into the places where the sidewalks end.  

2 comments:

  1. I love "Where the Sidewalk Ends" such a wonderful collection of poetry. I really need to get a copy for my library. Hope you have a safe and fun trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow how awesome of a trip you are taking! I want to one day have an RV and take a trip like this! I would love to just take our time and listen and enjoy the scenery and Gods earth. PLEASE take lots of photos!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!