Tuesday, November 18, 2014

In This Season of Thanks

And each morning and evening they stood before the Lord to sing songs of thanks and praise to Him. (1 Chronicles 23.30)

So, I just started a 14 day reading plan called "The Power of Being Thankful" by Joyce Meyer.

Day 1 didn't mess around. It started with the challenge to go an entire day without complaining. As usual, God has a way of giving me a message in a multitude of ways. Yes, just the night before as Bruce and I were coming home from a meeting, we talked about this very thing: not grumbling.

Developing an attitude of thanksgiving in every situation is challenging enough when life is normal. It's so easy to gravitate towards the negative. I don't know why. What's so attractive about cynicism? Yet, that's often where my mind goes these days. Given that both of us have been struggling with maintaining a positive attitude in the face of our trials, I think this exercise is very much needed. We need to not lose sight of the bigger picture: that God is in control. That God is bigger than whatever problem comes at us. That nothing is impossible with Him.

I spent a day in quiet solitude, just me, the cat and some good praise music playing. A cup of tea, a blazing fire, a good book. It was easy to feel gratitude for the day with all these sweet pleasantries surrounding me.

I did reflect several times on the devotional reading. On letting gratitude be the foundation of my prayer life. Being in desperate mode often brings me before the Throne of Grace whimpering "Help!" and even though I know God hears me, I am sure it pleases Him to hear me begin my conversations with Him with some praise and thanks for who He is. For ALL He is.

And so...
God you are so good. You created the world and filled it with beauty for me to enjoy. You placed me in this part of the world where green and blue dominate in splendid hues, where majestic mountains and oceans tantalize the eyes.


Then you surrounded me with good people. People who love you and can teach me much about a relationship with you. You brought me to a church that is filled with warm hearts and helping hands. I have a pastor who prays for us, not just because he is suppose to, but because he cares and wants to partner with Bruce and me in prayer. You have brought amazing Christian women into my life who can encourage me and befriend me, who constantly point the way to you. You have brought my sister back home and given us many days of enjoyment together. You have blessed me beyond measure with a godly husband who, I believe with all my heart, is a man after Your heart.

I was looking for songs that express thanksgiving and I came across this one by The Katinas. It's simply called "Thank You" and it captures so perfectly what I want to convey to the Lord...

Just a little while longer I wanna pray
Can't get You off my mind so I came to say
Thank You Lord, just for loving me, alright
Many times I do forget
Every need that You have met
Oh thank You Lord, I know You're showing me


You are there when I am down and out, You're holding me
Your love is so amazing, oh it changed me


Here I am with all I have
Raise my hands to worship You
I wanna say thank You, oh thank You
For everything, for who You are
You cover me and touch my heart
I wanna say thank You...

I could have died in my sin but You saved me
Didn't have any hope at all
You gave me peace divine, strength to carry on, alright
I should have been the one to pay
But instead You took my place
Amazing grace, it's more than just a song

Even though I don't deserve Your love for me
You look beyond my fault and You showed me mercy

Here I am with all I have
Raise my hands to worship You
I wanna say thank You, oh thank You
For everything, for who You are
You cover me and touch my heart
I wanna say thank You

I wanna say thank You for the sun
Lord we thank You for the rain

Oh Lord I love You
Thank You, that's all that I can say
Thank You for the love You gave

Here I am with all I have
Raise my hands to worship You
I wanna say thank You, oh thank You

For everything, for who You are
You cover me and touch my heart
I wanna say thank You,
Thank You

Thank You~ the Katinas

Songwriters
BURGESS, TIMOTHY / BLUNT, MARTIN VICTOR / COLLINS, ROBERT JAMES / BROOKES, JON / COLLINS, MARK VINCENT



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!