Monday, November 24, 2014

Giving Thanks in ALL Things.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings (except for a green bean casserole-- I'll pass, thanks). I look forward to the gathering of crazy relatives and friends.(As long as the house is big enough to accommodate us all.)

I think the reason I favor this holiday over any other is because it's so pure. It's Thanksgiving whether you are a Christian or not. Easter has been corrupted by a bunny, the birthday of Jesus upstaged by a jolly man in a red suit. Halloween is controversial, Valentine's Day brings sadness if you don't have a sweetheart, and the 4th of July is overrated. But Thanksgiving... there's no competition. It's just focused on being thankful (OK, and pie!!)

 It's good to stop and really appreciate all the blessings we have. And we all have something to be thankful for. Regardless of whatever this year has brought, there is always something to be thankful for.

I heard a testimony in church this weekend that knocked my socks off. The woman in the video shared how when she was going through a divorce and raising her kids alone, she still felt blessed. She said those were precious times because of how dependent she was on God. She said those were the times of such sweet intimacy with the Lord, that sometimes she misses that.

I think of all the tough stuff I've gone through in my life and how God was there for me. I think about the things I still struggle with, from the physical to the emotional, and can see how God uses this to shape my character, to stretch me, challenge me, grow me. My life is far from perfect but how boring life would be if all was perfect, right?

Thanksgiving is a great time to pause and reflect on all the blessings, and the Giver of those blessings. At some point during the day, we will take time to ask and share what we are thankful for. There will be lots of laughter and eating and more laughter, but above all, there will be gratitude.




No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for taking time to read and comment! have a great day!